is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 19 km south-east from
Melbourne's central business district. Its Local Government Area is the
City of Monash. At the 2011 Census, Clayton had a population of 15,543.
main focus for the suburb of Clayton is the shopping strip that runs
along Clayton Road. The local railway station, situated at the northern
end of the shopping strip bears the name Clayton railway station.
area was first occupied for farming in the 1850s and was originally
named after a property, "Clayton Vale", owned by lawyer John Hughes
Clayton in the 1860s. A township was originally gazetted on Dandenong
Road and in 1862 a primary school was opened at the corner of Dandenong
Road and Clayton Road, to serve the whole of the Clayton district. This
school changed its name to Clayton North Primary School in 1954.
construction of the railway to Dandenong and Gippsland about 1 km south
of Dandenong Road in 1878 prompted the start of a second township where
the line crossed Clayton Road.
The Post Office opened on 18 November 1887 as Clayton's Road Railway Station and was renamed Clayton in 1891.
rural lands and relative proximity to Melbourne attracted two
institutions at the turn of the century: the Talbot Colony for
Epileptics on land later occupied by Monash University, and a Women's
Convalescent Home. Apart from that, in 1900 the community consisted of
farms, three hotels, two churches, a tennis court and a few shops.
Market gardens, fruit growing and a municipal abattoir were the leading
The 1960s saw the rapid disappearance of market
gardens as urbanisation and industry advanced. At the western edge of
Clayton the Oakleigh High School had been opened in 1955 and a second
primary school was opened next year at Clayton South. Clayton East Post
Office opened in 1958 (and closed 1979).
metropolitan university, Monash, was opened at Clayton in 1961. Monash
is now Australia's largest university. Primary schools at Westall and
Clayton West opened in 1961 and 1962, and high schools at Westall and
Monash (Clayton North) in 1963 and 1965. In 1971 the Catholic bishops of
Victoria and Tasmania purchased land adjacent to Monash University to
house their seminary, Corpus Christi College. (The seminary was moved to
Carlton in 1999, and the site now serves as a conference centre.)
factories, including Wilke Printing, Robert Bosch GmbH and Repco were
opened after the Second World War. Clayton South and Westall are closer
to the "sandbelt" areas, with the Spring Valley Golf Club, The Grange
Reserve and Heatherton Park. Sanitary landfill sites occupy former sand
While the local community was formerly a part of the
now defunct City of Oakleigh local council, in 1995 the municipality
became the south-western corner for the City of Monash.
Public Library and Clayton Community Centre
large new building at the corner of Cooke Street and Centre Road was
opened in April 2008. It houses the Clayton branch of the Monash Public
Library Service, a swimming pool, gym, counselling services, health and
child care services, theatrette and meeting rooms.
Science, technology and research
is one of the largest centres of science, technology and research in
Australia. It is located in Melbourne's south-eastern suburbs, which
contains the highest density of high technology industries in Victoria.
Some of the science and technology institutions located in Clayton include:
- Monash University
- Monash Medical Centre
- Australian Synchrotron
- Australian Stem Cell Centre
- Monash Science Technology Research and Innovation Precinct
- Telstra Research Laboratories
- Australian Regenerative Medicine Institute
- Monash University Accident Research Centre
- Monash Centre for Synchrotron Science
- Centre for Human Bioethics
- Melbourne Centre for Nanofabrication
- John Monash Science School
- Clayton South Primary School
- Clayton North Primary School
- Westall Primary School
- St Peter's Primary School
- John Monash Science School
This information has been sourced from Wikipedia.